Guided by the Holy Spirit, we are called to love God by living Christ’s commandment to love one another as God loves us.
We worship: Trinity engages in prayerful, intentional experiences through worship based in the liturgical tradition of the Anglican Communion.
With God’s help, we are able to participate in a form of worship that nourishes, and helps express our love for and gratitude to God.
We are stewards: Trinity cares for God’s earth and all that is in it, the world and those who live in it (Psalm 24).
With God’s help, we embrace that life and abundance is more fully realized when shared and given away.
We nurture: Trinity fosters connections among its members and throughout the community through prayer, study, and celebration, providing sanctuary for all.
With God’s help, we come along side each other, embracing diversity of thought, experience, and identity.
We serve: Trinity equips Jesus’ disciples of all ages and abilities for service in the world.
With God’s help, we shape a community and world in which fewer people are powerless, vulnerable, hopeless, lonely, and unloved.
We question, discern, and flourish: Trinity supports seekers as they travel their faith journeys with Christ across the lifespan.
With God’s help, we deepen our trusting and faithful relationship with the Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer.
Together with the Holy Spirit, who has begun good work through us, may we be directed and upheld in the service of Christ and His kingdom. Amen.
The first known Episcopal service in Iowa City was when Missionary Bishop Jackson Kemper visited here on July 10, 1841. There were periodic visits by the Bishop and Missionary Priests until Trinity Parish was organized on August 7, 1853. The Reverend Willis H. Barris was appointed the first official Rector of Trinity on October 15, 1855. The congregation met in various locations until 1862 when the Parish acquired the former Athenaeum building and used it as a church until the completion of the present Church, which was first used for services on October 1, 1871.
The new building plan was attributed to design by Richard Upjon, but the structure more closely resembles a design by Bishop Randall of Colorado, a drawing of which was published in The Spirit of Missions in May 1867. The new Church was constructed on lot 7 and 8 of Block 62, purchased from Samuel M. Ballard and Sarah J. Ballard on August 13, 1868. During the years since 1871 the original building is mostly unaltered, although various Parish Halls and Educational Additions have been added.
Trinity Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 31, 1974.